Limited Palette

Monday, March 2, 2009
From Figure Drawing at ToJo Gallery


From Figure Drawing at ToJo Gallery


I like working with a limited palette during our sessions. It cuts down on decision making for colors during the brief time I have to get the pose onto the panel. I avoid using black and have been mixing a dark from red oxide and viridian green. I'll allow myself to use some white, a buff color, some kind of yellow and a cool such as ultramarine blue.

When you don't have a lot of time you don't want to waste even a second if you don't have to. And having every color at your disposal can slow down the whole painting and you won't get as far as you'd like to have.

Once you are limited you find its fairly easy to find something just as close with what you have. Maybe you just limit yourself to black and white and you will concentrate more on overall values.

No comments:

Post a Comment